The Architecture of GLAMkit¶
GLAMkit is a next-generation Python CMS by the Interaction Consortium (IC), designed especially for the cultural sector. It has tools for dealing with complex events, collections, press releases, sponsors, and a institutional storytelling engine.
ICEkit sits one layer below GLAMkit, and is a framework for building CMSes. It has publishing and workflow tools for teams of content professionals, and a powerful content framework, based on django-fluent. Everything is written in Python, using the Django framework.
- Patterns for hierarchical pages and collections of rich content models.
- Advanced publishing / preview / unpublishing controls
- Simple workflow controls
- Content plugins for working with rich text, images, embedded media, etc.
- Customisable site search using Elastic Search
- django-reversion compatible, allowing versioning of content
- Customisable admin dashboard
- Docker-compatible project template supplied
- Batteries included: bower, LessCSS, Bootstrap
- Easily extensible with models, templates, plugins, etc.
GLAMkit extends ICEkit with:
- complex repeating calendared events
- collection patterns: art, moving image, etc.
- a story-telling engine (e.g. rich ‘watch’, ‘read’, ‘listen’ articles)
- press releases
GLAMkit is delivered as a Docker-compatible package, which means that it’s easy to share a consistent development environment across your team, or to deploy on any Docker-compatible web host, including top-tier cloud hosting services like AWS.
This section documents some of the architectural principles underpinning GLAMkit.